Picture This: Exploring the World of Decorative Art
with Cynthia Rutledge
Immerse yourself in this opportunity to experience a three-day jewelry making retreat, to learn from Cynthia Rutledge in the unique and creative town of Asheville, North Carolina, and to refresh your creative spirit.
You will spend quality time in the studio classroom learning many techniques and improving your craftsmanship in a comfortable, yet focused environment. You’ll share delicious lunches daily with Cynthia and fellow classmates, then relax and unwind at the Welcome Social and Instructor Showcase. The retreat will wrap up with a Group Photo Session after class to celebrate your accomplishments and provide lasting memories of our time together in Asheville.
Inspiration for Picture This: Exploring the World of Decorative Art comes from many places. One of them is The House of Fabergé which has always had a longstanding tradition of creating fine objects of art for its wealthy clients. Probably best known for the Imperial eggs it created for the Romanov family, this famous house branched out to create a wide range of beautiful accessories, adorning some of the finest homes in the world. Craftsmanship and attention to detail are the reasons that this house has stood the test of time.
Another source of inspiration for this workshop is one of the most endearing decorative art pieces: the photograph frame. It brings high art to a personal level as the makers can add their own photograph to a frame. These beautiful works of art will be created using a wide range of techniques and materials. Set gemstones and pearls, enamel, gold and monogram will be incorporated into a wide range of sizes and shapes of frames. Add a swinging “kickstand” so that the frame can be set onto a surface or add a ring attachment to make a wall hanging. These frames will all have a personal touch and be quite unique.
- Create custom-made cabochons using photographs (or stock images) and epoxy
- Cut thin patina copper to create a custom frame shape
- Create support materials to create structure for the frame
- Bezeling techniques in beadwork, using stitches of choice, for the cabochons, frame and kickstand.
- Explore the design process for embellishment and construction
- Learn how to use materials for desired results. For example, the use of pearls, CZ’s and cup-chain. Also, the use of seed beads and cylinder beads to gain the desired effect.
- Learn how to use hole punches, bend wire, make templates, set CZ’s and use guitar strings.